Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lush by Natasha Friend



Synopsis:
Samantha has a secret. . . . It's hard enough being a thirteen year-old girl, but when your dad can't stop drinking and you're not allowed to tell, life gets even harder. Add to the mix a yoga-obsessed mother, a gym teacher who hates you, and boobs that won't stop growing, and you really need someone to talk to. When Sam picks a random high-school girl in the library and starts sending her notes asking for advice, a mysterious friendship develops. But who is A.J.K., really? And will she be able to help Sam help her father, before it's too late?

My Take:

What. The heck. That's all I can really say.  I can safely say that this book was like no other I have read.  Despite making me feel painfully awkward, it gave me something to do while my sister roamed the book warehouse for 2 hours.  If you are one of those people who get tense when you walk past the uncomfortable magazine section at the grocery store, I wouldn't recommend reading this.  I don't mean to make it sound like the latest Playboy edition- it just wasn't my kind of read. 

From the first page, I just wanted to give Sam a big bear hug.  She's  in an awful situation with no one there to help.  Her father's a drunk and her mother's always in her own little world.  The chick's crazy self-conscious and her old best friend suddenly thinks he's too cool for her.  It's just too much! Cut her some slack, will ya?

As far as the writing goes, that was splendid. Natasha Friend's style uses imagery to the max!  Some people might argue that Lush is too racy, but seriously, this crap goes on, anyway.  Kids know about it, some more unfortunate kids even experience it.  Natasha has gotten so much crap about this book and the rest of its kind.  And for what? Thinking outside of the box? Having the balls to actually write about something different and risky? I completely admire her for that.

Rate: 7 out of 10
(good book, just not for me)

P!nky

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They make me feel special. ;]